Every house needs a drainage system to protect the roof, the walls, and the foundation from rain, snow, and hail.
In this article, our roofing experts will explain the importance of quality drainage and the maintenance principles of a functional drainage system.
Why do the gutters get clogged?
The drainage system function can be affected by several factors.
- The main factor is fallen leaves. When fall comes, our gutters must be free to flow and clear of debris. The wind often blows leaves into the drainage pipes, which can block the gutters preventing water from running.
- Also, rain gutters can get clogged with branches that birds bring in an attempt to build a nest inside a drainage structure.
- Low temperatures and frost can also affect the condition of the rain gutters, leading to icing and rupture.
- Various insects such as cockroaches, beetles, wasps, and hornets can often find refuge or even build nests inside the gutters.
Why is it important to clean the gutters?
It would seem that such a trifle as gutters cannot significantly affect the house’s condition. However, gutters protect your home and greatly impact a building’s longevity.
The reasons for this are:
- Rain gutters direct water away from the house’s foundation to avoid water damage.
- Rain gutters keep rainwater away from the house walls to minimize the building’s dampness, moss, and mold growth.
A collapse of clogged drainage pipes may lead to injuries and cause additional damage to a car or garden furniture.
How often do you need to clean the gutters?
Gutters should be checked for blockages and cleaned at least twice a year. Late fall is the best time to clear leaves, branches, and insects from the gutters. It is good to prepare the roof for the summer in early spring to ensure the free flow of rainwater. If your gutters get clogged frequently, you may want to consider more regular maintenance.
How to clean the gutters?
Cleaning gutters requires skill and specialized equipment. Otherwise, you risk damaging the structures of the drainage system, which could lead to potential repairs. The best option is to contact professional roofing contractors.
Professional roofers use the most effective and safest gutter cleaning methods to ensure that your roof structures are maintained in the best condition for as long as possible. We will test the gutters to ensure that they operate correctly and do not require repair or replacement before we proceed with the cleaning.
Any roof issues?
Our experts can provide a free consultation and advice on the best solution
Call us at